Wednesday, October 5, 2022

My comfort zone . . . .

Although I've lived and worked in Abu Dhabi for about / almost 2 decades -- twenty years or so -- hobnobbed with the rich and famous -- so-called people from the elite class -- the upper classes -- Who's Who -- but I'm in my comfort zone with people from lower class / working class -- I don't have to speak in English -- I'm comfy with Urdu / Hindi -- It's such an enigma -- Ritzy people and places make me very class-conscious -- though I don't believe in classes -- but you can't deny that -- it's right there in plain sight / view -- When I meet people who live below the poverty line -- There's a profuse and profound sense of camaraderie -- Like I often say: It's not about money always -- most important thing you'd give to an underprivileged person (irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions) is dignity and respect. A little chitchat. A pat on the back. Sharing a smoke. Having Chai together. Empathy. Mercy. Compassion.

No comments: