Monday, February 18, 2013

My Big Brother

His name is Saud
Helps lots of destitutes.

Held my finger when I was a toddler
Taught me how to walk.

He's so stout and has lot of clout
His character is unimpeachable and lofty.

Drives Toyota FJ Cruiser
Loves kitties and mousers.

Stood by me in times of rains and droughts
He knows Indian martial art.

He works very untiringly and hard
Hangs out with his brilliant sons -- Maaz, Emaad, Ammar and Saad.

His only daughter is Summayya
She's simple and sober but never somber.

He's immense patience
Doesn't get easily perturbed.

He's an ace -- won many accolades
Made our parents and us so proud.

His bestfriend is Ali Uddin
I know him closely since my teens.

He knows the fine art of conversation
But also listens patiently to your version.

Emirates is his second home since decades
But he's not into name-dropping of his political bigwig friends.

He's been to far away places like Austria and America
But loves his hometown like true Son of the Soil.

When I was young -- he bought me lots of comics
That's how reading became my lifelong habit.

He narrated stories of valor -- fables of Rostam and Sohrab
Chastised me when I acted chicken-hearted and loony.

He took me to the movies like The Jungle Book, Chhota Chetan and Touch the Sky
Growing up was so much fun with Big Brother on my side.

We made countless trips to the Exhibition, Circus and Zoo
He helped me on swings and slides -- patted me when The White Tiger gave me a fright.

The magic shows of P. C. Sorcar, Jr. were wonderful
'Water of India' trick made me dumbstruck.

He got mad if I bunked school or flunked an exam
I used to hide in the bathroom till our mother intervened.

He's a number-cruncher -- a Finance person
Keeps me on a tight leash -- doesn't give me bountiful of Dirhams.

He worked with Arabs, Americans and Germans
Taught me how to start DOS on a dual floppy disk drive system.

You can't sum him up in words -- his stature is such
There're no contradictions between his private life and the public persona.

This is just a light verse -- to cheer my up Big Brother
Because he hugged me and cried at the time of departure.

1 comment:

Bluefeather said...

To the people who love you,
you are beautiful already.
This is not because they're
blind to your shortcomings
but because they so clearly see your soul.