Sunday, December 9, 2018

English: An enigma

I'd like to zero in on something -- Indian students are as bright as their counterparts in any country -- but the problem they face is that -- their syllabuses are in English -- That's why they can't understand that -- And, catch-22 is -- if they study in a regional language medium of instruction school -- They'd have problem with getting employed and other things -- In Germany -- it's German -- in France it's French -- and so on -- Other thing is Lower KG to Intermediate -- Fourteen years of fundamental learning -- I didn't get that -- I was just like any other student -- We're poor and we didn't have access to good education -- I studied in proverbial blackboard jungle -- At my school they didn't follow the Education board's syllabi -- I studied in so-called English medium schools -- but they never spoke English -- at least in the begginng of my education -- I used to speak in written English -- like the classic example of Prof Kev Nair's -- instead of saying put out your cigarette -- I'd say exintiguish your cigarette -- one more thing is: Unlearninng is impossible -- you'd get it right the first time itself -- I became a laughingstock -- My peers taunted me -- Something else: We study in British English -- And, if we switch to American -- you'd be pronouncing some words in British English -- and some words in American English -- Writing also ditto -- 

To be continued . . . 

No comments: