Saturday, June 8, 2013

Neda Soltan’s New Friends: A poem by my friend George Everette

Neda Soltan’s New Friends

I want you to meet some friends.

“Pleased.  Honored.  Happy to meet you.  Hi.

Malala, we will be such friends.”


Marwa El Sherbin,

She wanted her child to have a place to play.

“Malala, your mother loves you very much.”


Dariush Rezaie,

He wanted to study.

“Malala, I admire all the books you have read.”


Majid Shahriari,

He wanted to teach.

“Malala, you have such gifted teachers.”


Khaled Said,

He wanted freedom of the internet.

KHALED!   Pleasssse put your iPod away.

“Malala, I’m sorry.”


Neda Soltan,

She wanted to sing and dance.

“Malala, I so admire your uncompromising passion.”


Me?

My name is Ali al-Asghar ibn Husayn.

I wanted a drink of water with my father.
 

But you Malala Yousafzai,

You want all girls to have an education.

Alhamdulillah, you are going back!


End


By George T. Everette Jr.  (Spriglief)

Poem donated to Commons

All rights released

No comments: