Thursday, March 14, 2019

English. Wow. Powwow. =^..^=

I'm not so good -- and am no authority -- but I just wanted to share this with all of you:

in the flower of one's youth
idiom
Definition of in the flower of one's youth
: when one is young
He wrote his best works while in the flower of his youth.


Mind you: This is not Indian English. This is right from Merriam-Webster.
My suggestion to you is: Never say this in conversation or writing. You'd become the laughingstock among your peers.
It's not obsolete -- the dictionary doesn't say so -- but you know that sounds so inappropriate -- idioms whatever.

Shiney Ahuja becomes butt of jokes!
That's from a major daily's supplement: TOI.
if you are the butt of jokes or criticism, people often make jokes about you or criticize you
He became the butt of everyone’s silly jokes.


My bag wasn't simply a bag -- it's my portfolio! See that's how I used to speak. People used to ridicule me.

Parallel universe.

That building diagonally opposite to....
Extract that .…
Like that.

I used to mug up example sentences from dictionary -- to use 'em while talking to my friends and colleagues.

Imagine my pronunciation!

I mispronounce the word pro·​nun·​ci·​a·​tion -- itself LOL

=^..^=

No comments: