Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Wall of Dhu’l-Qarnayn: Real or imaginary? The Quran has told us how the barrier was built and what materials were used, so it is not right to say that it is a metaphorical or imaginary barrier. In Surat al-Kahf, Allah has told us the story of the Muslim king and the great leader Dhu’l-Qarnayn (may Allah have mercy on him): “Until, when he reached between two mountains, he found, before (near) them, a people who scarcely understood a word. They said, ‘O Dhu’l-Qarnayn! Verily! Yajuj and Majuj are doing great mischief in the land. Shall we then pay you a tribute in order that you might erect a barrier between us and them?’ He said: ‘That (wealth, authority and power) in which my Lord has established me is better (than your tribute). So help me with strength (of men), I will erect between you and them a barrier. Give me pieces (blocks) of iron,’ then, when he had filled up the gap between the two mountain-cliffs, he said, ‘Blow,’ till when he had made it (red as) fire, he said, ‘Bring me molten copper to pour over it.’ So they [Yajuj and Majuj ] were made powerless to scale it or dig through it. (Dhu’l-Qarnayn) said: ‘This is a mercy from my Lord, but when the Promise of my Lord comes, He shall level it down to the ground. And the Promise of my Lord is ever true.’” [al-Kahf 18:93-98]

No comments: